Tuesday, March 21, 2006

What the hell?

Today I went out on my biweekly grocery outing. It is good to go out and see people. Not only did I get to reaffirm my humanity, I also learned a lesson in New Orleans service. I was at Walmart and I wanted one of them eight piece fried chicken buckets. I went to the counter and the counter women told me they were frying the chicken up, and it would be ready in 30 minutes. I said "Great" and went and did my shopping. I bought some mighty fine food stuffs. Bread. Peanut butter. The whole nine yards. After about 34 minutes I headed back to the fried chicken counter. I asked again for chicken. The chicken lady told me it would be a few minutes. I stood and watched the chicken get pulled out of the oil. I then watched as the woman started putting the chicken into buckets. "Oh boy!" I thought. "Oh boy!"

The woman kept putting the chicken into the buckets. She would not put a lid on a bucket and hand it to me. She just kept filling up buckets. A black woman next to me says, "Is that fool gonna pack all them buckets?". I decide I should act. I say to the woman behind the counter, "Excuse me miss? Could you put few buckets out here so we could pick them up?" She puts a lid on a bucket and hands it to the black woman. The black woman says, "I think this bucket is his." The woman behind the counter (who is black) says, "If you want to give him your chicken thats your business." The black woman says to me, "Now I know you were here before me." I say, "Yeah, uh, is she not going to give me some chicken?" The black woman says, "Don't worry about it, You take this bucket, and I'll get the next."
I say "thank you" and take my bucket back to my basket.
I have heard other white folk tell of this sort of experience. I don't know if it is a white/black thing or male/female thing or a non-local/local thing. But it sure is something I tell ya.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By "bucket" you mean reparations, right?

8:44 AM  
Blogger casual ninja said...

the fool behind the counter was unquestionably intimidated by your good looks. she thought she could capture you with her coy chicken bucket. if you felt like you were being taunted it was probably some sort of weird sexual conquest for her.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Josh Krauter said...

How dare you? Typical American imperialist bullshit, white boy. What makes you think you can just walk into a store that serves buckets of chicken, ask for a bucket of chicken, and expect to receive a bucket of chicken? The hubris on you guys. Shit.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home