Tuesday, September 25, 2007


1) Yom Kippur went down last weekend. I did the fast thing as usual, but this time I even made the trip out to a synagogue. I don't like the prayers but I do like to hear the shofar blow. I am not into spirituality and I certainly don't think Judaism presents an accurate portrayal of the world: I don't think there is a personal creator, a universal telos, or any judgment post death. That being said, there is often wisdom in the prescriptions of the ancients. So I like fasting. I think it is good to be uncomfortable. To exercise some will and get a little light headed and weak. To do this while focusing upon your short comings...its great. Yom Kippur is also fairly emotional for me. I think of my friend who was killed on this day and I think of how he was killed. All the Yom Kippur liturgy is about the book of life and the mercy of god...and I keep thinking "bullshit." So anyway I walked to the synagogue feeling kind of dizzy and contemplative. To get to the synagogue I had to walk through several beer pong games, barbecues, and sand volleyball parties. The city is having a party, the football team is going to win and life goes on.

2) A political rally went down. The kids are protesting the presence of Halliburton on campus. The kids are all riled up. I walk past the protest with Kylie Minogue's "Can't get you outta my head" playing on my Ipod.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you think you and the ancients have things to think about? imagine what this girl is going through. i sure hope billy joel helps. i sure hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p4pwh0xEQU&mode=related&search=

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home