Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Lay Up To Savings.

I was cleaning up my desk drawer yesterday, when I found the game program for the Hornets vs Sixers game of Jan 28th. I flipped through the program and found this add:

On the page is written, " A Lay-Up to Savings" and it has a picture of a ugly woman with a basketball smiling up at the camera, which is looking down at her through a basketball net. What the hell is a Lay-Up to savings? When do lay-ups lead anywhere? What the hell are they talking about?
I am going to attempt a Lay-Up to Justice. Maybe later a Lay-up to Truth. I can take Lay-ups to anywhere! Maybe it will be my new means of travel and my new means to achieving my goals.

The interesting part of this add is that it is not an add for basketball tickets or something relating to basketball. It is an add for a newspaper subscription. In the attempt to relate the value of a low price for a newspaper with something basketball fans (like me) can understand, somebody said "Hey, everyone loves savings, and basketball fans love Lay-Ups! Lets combine the two to create an add they can't resist!". The other guy (trying to impress the boss and steal his coworkers thunder) said, "No way, People like Slam Dunks even more than Lay-ups. Lets offer "A Slam-Dunk to Savings!". Then the boss thought and after judging the merits of both ideas said, "No. Not everyone can dunk, we don't want our savings to seem difficult. Lets stick with "A Lay-Up to Savings", lets also feature a picture of a white woman looking up through a basketball hoop".
Both of his workers accepted his judgment as wise.

As a basketball fan, I have to admit that group of advertising jerks nailed it! I love savings, I love Lay-Ups, and I don't feel frightened by ugly white women holding basketballs. I will take a Lay-Up to Savings.

3 Comments:

Blogger Plop Blop said...

What's the opposite of that? Like, a full-court press to savings?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Josh Krauter said...

I prefer a three-man weave to savings, but if the other two men are nowhere to be found, a layup to savings will suffice.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Spacebeer said...

What about a Half-Time Show to Savings, or maybe a Stadium Wave to savings? Those sound like they have more people behind them, and everyone loves to jump on the bandwagon. Just because one jerk is making Lay Ups to Savings, why would I want to be like them? I prefer to follow the crowd to a Half-Time Show of Savings.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home