Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Let the Poet Sing:

What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing?

"Can't you tell that your tie's too wide?"

Maybe I should buy some old tab collars?

"Welcome back to the age of jive.

Where have you been hidin' out lately, honey?

You can't dress trashy till you spend a lot of money."

Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound

Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me



What's the matter with the car I'm driving?

"Can't you tell that it's out of style?"

Should I get a set of while wall tires?

"Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?

Nowadays you can't be too sentimental

Your best bet's a true baby blue Continental."

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk

It's still rock and roll to me



Oh, it doesn't matter what they say in the papers

'Cause it's always been the same old scene.

There's a new band in town

But you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...

Aimed at your average teen



How about a pair of pink sidewinders

And a bright orange pair of pants?

"You could really be a Beau Brummel baby

If you just give it half a chance.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers,

You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers."

Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways

It's still rock and roll to me



What's the matter with the crowd I'm seeing?

"Don't you know that they're out of touch?"

Should I try to be a straight `A' student?

"If you are then you think too much.

Don't you know about the new fashion honey?

All you need are looks and a whole lotta money."

It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways

It's still rock and roll to me



Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound

Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

5 Comments:

Blogger Old Stallion said...

What stuck me on this reading (and every reading of Billy's work opens new realms of possibility) is the ambiguity found in the chorus "still rock n' roll to me". The teen in me regards the unity of the disparate musics under the banner of rock, as a unity of strength. The old asshole in me views it as a disparagement. As in, "whats the big deal, hot funk, cool punk, its all bullshit rock n' roll". In any event, both of these aspects of my criticism love frosted mini-wheats. One side is sweet, the other side isn't!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Old Stallion said...

Yeah, I almost forgot. Whenever I start to like Billy Joel and think "Sometimes a fantasy" is fucking great, I am reminded of the ass clenching "We Didn't Start the Fire" and shake my head in disgust.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Josh Krauter said...

Rock and roll, the cola wars, I can't take it anymore!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime I'm raping someone to the metal clang of Allentown, the syrup of "Everybody Has A Dream" blows a deflating load.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Josh Krauter said...

"Every child had a pretty good shot
To get at least as far as their old man got
But something happened on the way to that place
They threw an American flag in our face"

"We had no home front
We had no soft soap
They sent us Playboy
They gave us Bob Hope
We dug in deep
And shot on sight
And prayed to Jesus Christ
With all of our might

We had no cameras
To shoot the landscape
We passed the hash pipe
And played our Doors tapes
And it was dark
So dark at night
And we held on to each other
Like brother to brother
We promised our mothers we'd write
And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together"

"Remember how I found you there
Alone in your electric chair
I told you dirty jokes until you smiled
You were lonely for a man
I said take me as I am
'Cause you might enjoy some madness for a while"

These are just three examples of a bottomless well of lyrical inspiration.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home