Monday, November 07, 2005

Robot Wand revisited

Howdy Ya'll

My friend Matt, emailed me this link after reading my post about the guy with the robot voice in Syracuse (I think it was this post that inspired him, it might also have been the last one). In this video (click on the title to watch the video) a t.v. host is trying to interview people who have voice problems on account of surgery or something else equally tragic. The host busts a nut laughing at the funny voices. He feels really bad about it, but cannot control himself. I too have experienced something like that. When the current round of "intifada" broke out in Israel in 2000, I was in a military meeting in which my group was briefed about the nature of the violence and what we should expect. A bunch of people had already been killed, and it became apparent that our term of service would be violent and shitty. Also at this meeting was one of the biggest idiots in my group. He had a penchant for killing bugs. Don't get me wrong, he was a nice guy-- not a sicko. He had a stupid man's pleasure in making bugs go crunch, not a sadistic one. But even more stupid than that, he liked to talk about his bug killings. I'm serious. You would sit there and be talking about democracy, nationalism, military tactics, what have you, and this guy would come up and tell you about how he had just found this cockroach and stepped on it. He was a moron. Anyway, so in this meeting, I notice a pretty large beetle walking around. More engaging than this, I notice that the moron had also noticed the beetle and was completely focused on it's scurrying. This was pretty funny in itself. This idiot was so entranced by this bug, he was oblivious to my staring at him, and the words of the officer. Funnier still, the beetle walked right towards him. The morons face got all excited and he put down this huge stomp on the beetle. When I see the moron look up with this huge satisfied smile, my friend and I start giggling. At this point each of become aware that both of us saw the same thing: it really occurred, and it really was funny. As my friend and I hear each other try to suppress our laughter, we each have to laugh even more; and so on and so forth. Eventually, after numerous outbreaks and stifles, and despite being yelled at by the officer, and being reminded of the seriousness of the meeting, we both completely explode and laugh violently for about 15 minutes. We keep laughing even while we are forced to do pushups as punishment.
It was funny as hell, but really the magic of it all was the attempt to suppress the laughter: I knew full well that what I was doing looked horrible, and made me look incredibly insensitive if not insane, but this awareness only fueled the fire.

The video is great. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger casual ninja said...

this cracked my shit up. i love how fake his serious "explaning" segments are, like he still REALLY wants to laugh. i love how explosive his laughter is, especially when the audience robot causes him to lose all control. the awkward 30 seconds at the end caps it off nicely.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home