Monday, October 03, 2005

My nephew and poop

I have been hanging out with my my four year old nephew. We've been catching bugs, riding bikes, and building sand castles. Sometimes while digging around the sandbox my nephew will ask me if the dirt clod he is holding is poop.
What a profound question!
"Is this poop?"
So far, my answer has always been in the negative. "No, thats not poop, its just dried mud". I wonder what the import would be if my nephew heard a positive answer. "Yes, my friend, that is indeed a piece of poop that you have clenched in your hand." What then? Would he throw the poop in disgust? Examine it with interest? I am eager to lay a steamer in his sandbox in order to find out.

2 Comments:

Blogger casual ninja said...

you should tell him the only real way to know the difference is to taste the difference. that is a lesson we all have to learn at some point.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Spacebeer said...

When I was a kid we had a ton of sand underneath the second-floor deck (which was awesome because underneath the sand was real dirt and mud and we totally almost made it to china one time). But it was also where our cat and all the other cats in the neighborhood came to poop. I have very clear memories of picking up fossilized cat poo and thinking it was pretty cool. Fresh cat poo, not so great.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home